Monday 2 April 2012

Lizzie's shower - Part I


I have previously spoken about making plans and things not going according to plan (which happens more often than not...at least for me. If you’ve experienced otherwise, then I offer you my heartfelt congratulations). This is one example of an opportunity that was thrust upon me with very little planning.
Just over a month ago, some photos my friend posted on facebook of a kitten caught my eye. While he is a good person, I could never imagine him nursing a kitten, until I saw photographic proof. I inquired into the situation and found that a stray cat close by, had a litter of 5 kittens, all needing good homes... and 2 of them were female and pure white; exactly what I had wanted for a very long time.
Now, for the next 3 days I tore myself apart finding excuses why I am an unfit cat mum:
“I’m so busy at work, the kitten would never be happy being left by itself for so long.”
“I will have to go home EVERY night; no sleepovers!!!”
“Kittens need to be fed 4-5 times a day; does that mean I need to go home at lunch time every day to feed it???”
And most persistently:
“I can handle plants, but I’m just not ready now to be responsible for another living thing!”
In the end, I pushed all those fears aside, and just did it. And I’m way happier for it. The kitten seems pretty smitten too. Exhibit A.
Given she was a stray, and presumably not litter trained, I was prepared to buy carpet stain removers in bulk. But the clever little thing knew instinctively to use the litter tray. In fact, she would hold it in than do it on the carpet.  She has yet to have an accident. Touch wood.
She also instinctively knew not to continue eating once she’s full; a task that’s proving near impossible for many a well trained; fully grown human. So I can leave dry food out all day, and give her wet food as a treat when and if I make it home. And no, I’m not breaching any laws for the mistreatment of animals. It’s a perfectly fine diet for a kitten. I’ve done my research.
Most people, myself included, will focus on the 101 ways things will go wrong. But once you’re actually in the situation, you realise just how quickly you adapt. All the things you had imagined to be too difficult; will suddenly seem second nature.
Looking at the situation from another perspective, the happiness that the kitten had brought into my life far outweighs the minor disruptions that I have to endure; or even the kaleidoscope of scratch marks on my limbs. Exhibit B.

So really, it’s not about whether I can make my kitten happy, but how much I value my own happiness. Yes, it’s narcissistic and selfish.  But its human nature, and subconsciously, it’s the motivation we leverage when deciding what actions to take.
How much effort am I willing to put in to make myself happy?
Of course, what you’re thinking of doing need to be feasible too. I mean I would love to jump straight to getting a puppy; but I would be breaking a few building bylaws. In any case, I had a shower for my kitten in celebration of her arrival in my life. Yes, I can completely understand if you are raising your eyebrows at me in disdain. But once you see the food, you will forgive me. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment