Sunday 22 January 2012

What's this???

Hi, I’m Lisa. I love to bake, cook, knead, stir, chop, fold, make a mess, really any activity that allows me quiet time in my kitchen. It’s my type of meditation. The only kitchen job I don’t like is the cleaning up afterwards... and I have yet found anyone patient enough to clean up after me.
I have always loved to bake, but my fascination for baking ramped up while I was trying to please a boy. But the passion (for the baking that is) stayed and I’m grateful for it J I’m mostly self-taught, my biggest inspiration is the wonderful Nigella Lawson, and I truly believe everyone’s eyes light up at the sight of a slice of cake, even if they don’t want to admit it.
My first ever baking attempt was making cookies for my mum on Mother’s Day 15 years ago; where I melted chocolate IN the simmering water, rather than in a double boiler. I have (thankfully) made some progress since then, but still have a lot to learn...such as, while imagination is encouraged in the kitchen, it may also lead you astray; leading example – soy milk custard tart anyone? (Gasp! I know...what was I thinking?!)
Eat cake while you wait is a hobby. What the title is trying to convey is that more often than not, life is a waiting game. Waiting for the right person, the right job/investment opportunity, the right time and the right place. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to undermine hard work and dedication, but none of it will turn fruitful, unless the right opportunity comes along. The best we can do while waiting is to make the most of the situation, and that’s when cake comes in.
Whether your “cake” is actually eating a slice (or 2 or more) of cake, reading trashy romance novels, hitting the dance floor until 5 am (3 times a week), or even star wars (hey, I’m not judging), the point is, if you have a guilty pleasure, then go for it! Why deny yourself the pleasure just because life is not what you expected? Call me clichéd, but no one’s life is perfect; we are all doing our best to get by.

Marie Antoinette, when told of the dire state of the country admist the French Revolution, and that its citizens have no bread to eat, famously replied - "so let them eat cake!" While in our current circumstances, all of us can afford bread, however, many of us have stopped eating and enjoying our cakes (excuse the metaphors). We may agree to do too much and in turn, cause disappointments when we don't deliver; it makes both look and feel bad. However, most of time, we don't need to be better, more talented people, just better rested.

So stop sulking and go eat cake J

PS: my next post will be on everything Chocolate... so stay tuned!!!

First photo: Lemon layer cake with vanilla bean buttercream and gum paste daisies
Second photo: 4 layer brown sugar cake with caramel buttercream, decorated with salted caramel macarons and topped with cardamon, cinnamon and vanilla poached pears

5 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!!~~ Inspirational!

    Have to quote this so I remember, some very wise words:

    "the point is, if you have a guilty pleasure, then go for it! Why deny yourself the pleasure just because life is not what you expected? Call me clichéd, but no one’s life is perfect; we are all doing our best to get by...

    So stop sulking and go eat cake"!

    Some very very good advice!!! The cakes look beautiful~ Keep it up and can't wait until the next post!!

    Cis

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cake is a lie.

    Also Stars Wars is not a guilty pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really needed a reason to eat cake, my thought processes on the subject usually being: See, want, drool, munch. However, thank you very much, Lisa, for providing your fellow cake-eaters with a well reasoned philosophy that we can ponder upon as we stuff ourselves with (chocolate!) cake and await an exciting life opportunity (unless your life goal is to be Australia's next top supermodel, then you should probably give your cake to me and munch on some celery or something).

    Re Wayne's comment... this probably reflects badly on me, but I get your reference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lis! I love! Sooooo happy you've finally decided to share your amazing talent and interest, so noobie (aka hopeless) bakers like me get to live vicariously through you. Love the name! Love the idea behind it! How true life is all about timing! Keenly await your next post =D
    Glors

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this ur very clever.keep it up
    .Love Cathy

    ReplyDelete